The Omnipod DASH™ is a tubeless insulin pump from Insulet. While Omnipod has been around since 2000, this version has some new features that will make many podders excited.
What is new?
The Omnipod DASH™ has
- New pods with Bluetooth™ capability
- Bluetooth™ connectivity
- New touch screen, colour PDM
- Now uses rechargeable batteries.
- Comes with Pod site tracker
- More basal and temporary basal preset options
- 1/10 carb ratio options for boluses
The new pods have Bluetooth™ Low Energy wireless capability built in. This allows it to communicate with the new touch screen PDM. The new pods are the same size and weight as the previous pods.
You must use all your old pods before switching to the DASH™ however because the current model pods are not compatible with the new system.
New Touchscreen PDM
The new touchscreen PDM is approximately the same size and weight as the previous PDM, but has a four-inch colour screen. The new PDM is also “locked down”, meaning that it will not allow other apps or cell phone use.
Other features of the new PDM include
- Wi-fi connectivity for remote software updates
- Improved food database from Calorie King
- The ability to manually enter blood glucose and other data as well as personalize meal entries.
- Site tracker option to keep track of where you have placed pods previously
- Stores 90 days of data
- Can be locked to prevent accidental bolusing.
Another change in the DASH™ is the batteries. This system requires the use of lithium ion rechargeable batteries.
What else is coming
The Omnipod DASH™ will also have Apple and Andriod apps. The Display app will allow users to monitor their system from their smart phone without taking out their PDM. This app will include a “Find my PDM” feature to help users to track down its whereabouts.
The Omnipod View app will further allow parents and caregivers to monitor their loved ones’ blood glucose levels on a continuous basis. This app will allow sharing for up to 12 people.
Does it work with a CGM?
The Omnipod DASH™ does not work with a continuous glucose monitor. The newer Omnipod 5 does does offer this feature. Omnipod 5 is now available to all markets in the US, but has not received Health Canada approval.
You can read what is new in the Omnipod 5 here
Can you remote bolus with the Omnipod DASH™?
Remote bolusing is not an option on the DASH™ system but can be used with specific cellphones and the Omnipod5.
What age is the Omnipod DASH™ approved for use in?
In both the US and Canada, the new DASH system is approved for use in all age groups.
What are the features of the Omnipod DASH™?
The Omnipod DASH™ as many of the same features as the previous model Omnipod as well as a few new ones.
- Pods contain 200 units or up to 3 days of insulin.
- It is lightweight.
- Has a waterproof rating of waterproof IP28 rating for up to 7.6 metres for 60 minutes. The PDM is not waterproof.
- Automatic, push button, 90 degree cannula insertion.
- Integrated Bolus Calculator, Presets & CalorieKing® food lists.
- iOS compatibility with 2 mobile apps that will allow others to remotely access and monitor insulin data.
- Omnipod DISPLAY™ widget allows access to combined view of Omnipod DASH® System5 and a CGM status.
- Ability to set a zero basal rate.
- The Omnipod DISPLAY™ mobile app shares insulin data information remotely on iOS smartphones.
- The Omnipod VIEW™ mobile app enables nurses and caregivers to monitor up to 12 Omnipod users from an iOS smartphone.
- Comes with a CONTOUR NEXT ONE blood glucose meter instead of Freestyle integrated system.
- iOS Today app allows users to view Omnipod data alongside Dexcom Continuous Glucose Monitor (CGM) data.
- 0.1g carb/unit insulin to carb ratio for tighter control.
- In the US, when connected to Wi-Fi, the PDM will automatically upload data to a user’s corresponding Glooko® account that will be displayed every 24 hours at midnight. Cable upload also available. This system will continue to work with DiaSend in Canada.
Contact your Omnipod rep to discuss a trial run on this system and learn what purchase options are in place in your area.
Learn about insulin pumps from experts
Purchase the recordings of the Virtual Insulin Pump Expo